Monday, June 23, 2008

The 5 month old philanthropist

He's only 5 months old, but he's already volunteering and contributing to the community.

On Sunday I agreed to be a docent (tour guide) at Sonnenberg in the afternoon. My parents were at a party, Mark was playing baseball, so Jacob had to tag along with me. He spent the first hour strapped to my chest in the Baby Bjorn, and the second hour in his bouncy seat. By hour three he was tired of directing visitors and sharing the history of the Thompson family, so he fell asleep. You can't really fault him for that, it WAS quiet and dark in the mansion. But he was quite popular, the guests spent just as much time smiling at him and commenting on what a good boy he was as they did walking through the rooms. And he was good- only fussy for 5 minutes before he took a nap.

When we left there we stopped at an apartment in Canandaigua to drop off 3 cans of baby formula that we're not going to use. The woman we gave it to said that WIC isn't enough to buy all of the formula she needs. At first I rolled my eyes- I mean how can you have a child when you can't afford to feed it?? But then I thought about how lucky we are that we DON'T have to worry about that kind of thing.

No comments: