Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Noisy Toys

I am not the most interactive parent. By the time I'm finished with work every day and pick up the kids I barely have enough energy to cook dinner. While I crack open the box of mac & cheese the kids are left to fend for themselves either with their toys or occasionally Micky Mouse on tv.

Clearly I am lacking when it comes to engaging parenting skills.Up until a few weeks ago we didn't even own musical instruments for the kids. You know, the kind of instruments that allow kids to explore their musical talents and learn complex rhythms?
My friend Tewks is everything I am not. Which is why she brought the kids a plethora of musical toys the last time she and baby K visited. Apparently she and baby K have music time every day. She has kids songs on her smart phone and the two of them sit down and have constructive music time.I am clearly lacking the time, energy, talent, and a whole other host of things to even consider this. Not to mention these "musical instruments" are incredibly loud.

But the kids love them. So we do have music time.
It's not structured. And I don't have any special music that goes along with it. But the kids do have fun making a royal ruckus.

And then music time is over, and I confiscate the toys until the following day.It's not ideal, but it's our compromise. And it's working for us so far.

No comments: